Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do we need a Test?

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

We will have a new liar soon falsely swearing this oath before he takes office and does everything but.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

And almost all the people who take office after the upcoming elections as either a senator or representative will also falsely swear this oath.

You know how I know? Because I have studied the constitution and I have somewhat of an understanding of what it is and why it is so important to freedom and liberty that it be followed. I know that Congress and POTUS are not following it. So either they don't understand it or they choose to ignore it willfully. The former implies they are merely ignorant and we who let them take office share most of the responsibility. The latter means they have committed treason and should be tried and if convicted, executed.
Why do I have to take a test to get a drivers license? To sell insurance? Real estate? To generate mortgages? To become an attorney? Tests and licenses are required by the government to allow all kinds of activities. What is the logic behind this testing? (I concede it doesn't ensure guarantee competence or ethical behavior) It does at least provide a measure of knowledge, though.
What test is required of those who make and enforce laws which almost invariably oppress us, the People.
Why do we let our "leaders" take power over us just because they are good at raising money and telling lies and then allow them to do so merely by swearing a false oath? Shouldn't they have to demonstrate a knowledge of the constitution? Shouldn't they have to have an understanding of freedom, liberty, sound economics and honest money?
Doesn't it make sense to at least test them to ensure they have an understanding of what they are swearing to uphold and defend?
Shouldn't they have to prove they really understand what is it and how it came about and why We the People want it upheld?
Or do we? How many of us have taken the time to read and truly understand it.
Why does it exist and what does it purport to do? Do you really know? Do you even care?


1 comment:

The King of America said...

I think a test would be helpful. They should also require a course on the constitution in college. I know we looked over it briefly in high school...but I think that goes over most young peoples heads. At a college level, it might sink in a little more.